View Single Post
Old October 15 2011, 04:25 PM   #19
NJOberheim
Captain

Re: THE THING (2011): Discussion, Spoilers, Reviews

I'm a huge fan of the Carpenter version. It's probably in my top 3 films of all time. I've watched it many times, quote lines from it, etc. I was skeptical that they would be able to capture the magic again but went in with an open mind.

I enjoyed the movie. I was very happy with how much attention to detail went into tying in the events of the prequel to the orginal. They pretty much thought of everything. Down to why there was an axe embedded in a door when Mcgready went to the norweigen camp in the orginal.

I only have two complaints. The CGI wasnt bad but it looked like...CGI. I think it would have been awesome if they didnt go the CGI route but of course that's a pipe dream.

The other complaint was the movement and behaviour of the creature was different. For one, it moved way too fast. I know, its because its CGI and they have the ability to do that now, but there was something so creepy about the orginal's slow movements. Also, the new creature was in the offensive, rather then like in the orginal where it seemed to be more concerned with being hidden and was a lot more strategic in it's attacks.

That being said, I enjoyed it, and am happy with how faithful the producer was to the orginal.
NJOberheim is offline   Reply With Quote