View Single Post
Old October 15 2011, 01:06 AM   #144
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: SONS OF ANARCHY tv series disscussions and comments

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Based on Kurt Sutter's tweets today, it doesn't sound like the Juice & racism storyline is going to be making any more sense as the season progresses...

Kurt Sutter wrote:
critics and fans are struggling with the juice racism story. they crave more exposition. they're not gonna get it. i don't point story.

lack of set up exposition is why this show continues to surprise people and head in directions unimagined. everything in juice's arc has been supported by three seasons of story. you've never seen a black member. the[y've] never discussed under current of racism.

i would argue that the response is exactly what i intended -- what the fuck? this makes no sense? really? there are other minorities...

that's the point. it's archaic, but exists. if i set it up with another story, you would have seen this arc coming and i'd get shit for that[.]

the truth is people and by people i mean the cunts who keep fucking blogging about it, HATE the fact the club segregates.

it makes people UNCOMFORTABLE the guys they love to hate are racists. they can be gunrunning misogynist murderers, but they can't be racist.
I normally agree with, or at the very least am amused by, Sutter's "angry" thoughts on Twitter, but I really don't feel like this racism storyline is supported at all by "three seasons of story." I can't recall any indications of SAMCRO members seeming racist at all in the past seasons, so this storyline feels like it's literally come out of nowhere.
They don't need to be overtly racist like the Nords to want to keep blacks out of the club. Also, it is yet to be shown how strongly this angle will play out. Right now, we have only Juice's fear of bad reaction which is only going to be compounded with the fallout from the traveling brick which Chibs has suspicions about in regards to juice.

The last time race played any great factor as far as I recall was in Donna's death and Jax and Piney were talking to the Niners. Piney didn't come across all that racially sensitive, one might put it down to Donna's death or just him, but as First Nine, it could also show some underlying mentality in those early years.

I want to see how this plays out, but I don't see this yet as the club is suddenly racist. So far, it is Roosevelt playing on Juice's fears. We know that there is a club rule about race, but rules can be voted on and changed. Not likely now, with everything going on, but it is playing out interestingly to me.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote