View Single Post
Old October 14 2011, 06:11 AM   #33
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

The book I'm reading now has some weird coincidental timing behind it. The book is "The Prisoner Trilogy" by Roger Langley. It is an omnibus collecting three unofficial novels based on The Prisoner TV series that were published in the late 80s by the official Prisoner fan club of the day. Recently the three books (Think Tank, When in Rome, Charmed Life) were put out in a new edition.

I once visited Portmeirion, Wales, where the show was shot, and at the time (and probably still today) one of the cottages was a Prisoner-related souvenir shop. They had 2 of the 3 books and I was actually told that I was buying the last copy of I think Charmed Life.

Fast forward to 2011 and I find out this Prisoner Trilogy has come out so I order it from the UK. It arrived on Tuesday. This week happens to mark the 20th anniversary of the end of the month-long trip I took to Britain in 1991, which was when I visited Portmeirion. So it's a nostalgia rush for me.

Technically the books are fanfic, but very well done fanfic. (And since the newer Prisoner novels from Powys Media by Andrew Cartmel and a couple others have proven impossible to obtain from where I am, it's a good substitute for those books.)*

Alex

* That's a subtle plea if anyone knows of an online retailer carrying them to please let me know!
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote