View Single Post
Old October 14 2011, 12:17 AM   #38
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: Die Hard V - Not Looking Good...

I agree with Captaindemotion. John Moore is a typically pedestrian and industrialist filmmaker, who churns out middle-of-the-road, mediocre Hollywood fare. I am not surprised that he has been given the next Die Hard flick, though.

He's been working with 20th Century Fox for a while now, and he was once a contender to direct X-Men: The Last Stand, X-Men: First Class and I believe one (or both) of the Wolverine standalone films. So Moore has been on Fox's checklist of journeyman directors, along with Brett Ratner, for a while now. It was only a matter of time before he got scooped up for one of Fox's blockbuster franchises.

Skip Woods is just an awful writer. Once upon a time, the first Wolverine movie had a chance at being good. I read the original script, penned by David Benioff (Training Day), and it was very good. Much better than the film we got. That was back when filmmakers like Bryan Singer were possibly circling the project. Enter Skip Woods into the equation, and that was the beginning of the end. Hitman was also incredibly mediocre and uneven, so his track record is less than reputable.

In my opinion, the last good Die Hard movie was without a doubt Die Hard With a Vengeance. It had a strong villain, and Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson had brilliant chemistry. The original is of course the best, but Live Free or Die Hard felt like a watered down version of a Die Hard movie. I have a feeling the trend is going to continue with A Good Day to Die Hard, but I look forward to being proven wrong.