Old October 13 2011, 06:20 PM   #1535
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

jason's bro wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post

Always the way with impulse buys.
Isn't that the truth?

Good luck on only needing to replace the speakers.
I got lucky.

Only needed to replace the speakers, and found a reasonably priced pair. The sound is a little "over-precise" to my ear but I guess I'm not used to hearing elements of songs that just mushed together a bit on the 10-yr old pair that broke yesterday.

This has just come on my radar:

I haven't bought yet as I can't decide to go with the cordovan or black. If I can get a good enough sale, I might be able to justify both, at least to myself.
Johnston & Murphy are a reasonable pair of shoes for the price, but the leather can be prone to a fair bit of fine creasing. That might show up less against a cordovan background than the black. I'm assuming it's cordovan-coloured calfskin, not actual cordovan. If it's actual cordovan vs black calfskin, definitely go for the cordovan. It will look much better over time at the J&M level vs their calfskin.

Having said that, in terms of style, I tend to prefer single monkstraps with either plain toes or cap-toes, and moc toed fronts with double monks. The single monk is a touch more formal than the double, so seems to work better with a slightly more formal toe. I've got a black moc-toe monk, but it's a double strap, and makes for a surprisingly versatile shoe.

Your shoe in cordovan colour would be a casual shoe that I'd tend to reserve for outfits that stop short of a full suit. Would be nice for any autumn outfits eg with a pair of cords, a checked shirt with or without a jumper on top, and a jacket. In black, I don't think it would get as much use... maybe with smarter outfits for going to restaurants, bars, and other similar evening events.

PS. if you like the idea of a black double monk in suede, there's a pretty cool version by Magnanni up at NM Last Call at the moment in a similar bracket to the J&M. That would work very nicely with a (non-shiny) semi-casual grey suit or similar trousers; perfect with flannel or donegal, for instance.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote