View Single Post
Old October 13 2011, 02:46 AM   #780
Lowdarzz
Captain

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

Stagecoach (1939)

The first of many collaborations between John Wayne and director John Ford, this was a truly excellent film. Many of the western genre cliches are intact such as the alcoholic doctor and the prostitute with the heart of gold but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the film that came up with them. The story is fast paced and well plotted as is the action taking place in the final act. Finally, as usual John Ford gives the audience a spectacular view of Monument Valley as he continued to do for years to come.

High Plains Drifter (1973)

Another excellent western, this time with an implied supernatural bent. Although Clint Eastwood's character The Stranger is very close to his famed Man With No Name from the Dollars Trilogy, this character is much more sinister. Most of the characters that inhabit the town of Lago are unlikeable and I found myself rooting for The Stranger by the end of the film. I also enjoyed the completely abrupt ending. For my fellow TOS fans, the film features Marianna Hill in the role of Callie Travers. In 1966 she played the role of Dr. Helen Noel in the episode "Dagger of the Mind."
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote