The Ides of March - free screenin'
Real Steel - free screenin'
127 Hours - HBO on Demand
Fireflies in the Garden - free screenin'
The Thing (2011) - free screenin'
The Crow: City of Angels - Netflix Instant
Poltergiest II: The Other Side - Netflix Instant
Poltergiest III - Netflix Instant

Some folks I've seen at the last few screenings I've been to let me go in with them last night on their VIP passes, so I had a high row, center seat for The Thing prequel.

There were a couple of trailers, includin' one for Tower Heist, which will have Alan Alda as the "bad guy"!!!

The prequel was alright, set in the days before the events at the American camp in John Carpenter's '82 film. I didn't like the idea of a remake (a woman in the Kurt Russell role, really?!?) and then I found out it was a prequel, an idea I liked even less, since the Euro camp was shown in the first movie. Anyone who has seen it would have a pretty good idea what was goin' to happen...and anyone who hasn't seen it, like the woman sittin' next to me last night, won't get the endin', which totally sets up the openin' of the original.

I may see it again, but as a rental later, do a double feature or something...

Hangin' out at friends' place today, usin' their Netflix. I was with 'em a couple of weeks ago, and had started watchin' the first Crow sequel. Finished watchin' it this mornin', since "resume" was still an option.

Not a very good movie...the sequel with Kirsten Dunst, which I have seen, was a lot better. I may watch the one with David Boreanaz later...

- edit, to add -

Instead of another Crow sequel, I went with a Poltergiest sequel instead. Its been a few years since I watched the first one, but 'til today, I hadn't gotten to the sequels.

It was alright, more cheesy than scary, though the preacher was fuckin' creepy and the special effects were for shit compared to what's comin' out these days.

Maybe I'll watch the third, too...haven't decided yet.

- edit, again, to add -

Went ahead with the third Poltergiest, which only has two of the previous characters in it.

The mirror effects were pretty good, but overall, the story was a let down. I didn't care much for the mythology that got built in the sequels. The first movie was way better, when it was just random horror because of the house, not targetted horror because of the little girl.

Back to watchin' Law & Order episodes for dinner.

Last edited by od0_ital; October 13 2011 at 03:18 AM.
od0_ital is offline   Reply With Quote