View Single Post
Old October 11 2011, 03:23 PM   #18
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: the state of sf/f TV development for 2012-13

Unless they clone Elizabeth Montgomery, a Bewitched remake isn't gonna work. Some shows are simply too connected to the actor. Even the Nicole Kidman movie, for all its faults, had the good sense to be about the making of a remake rather than doing a straight story.

Unless the "duelling" Beauty and the Beast projects feature a character named Vincent, they aren't remakes. That's like calling a retelling of Snow White a remake of the Disney movie. Now if they are new versions of the 1980s TV series ... to a degree my "cloning" comment above also stands, as that show was popular because of the chemistry between Ron Perlman (who could probably return to the part easily enough if he can get away from Sons of Anarchy) and Linda Hamilton.

The most bizarre one on that list is the new version of The Munsters. Modern Family meets True Blood? I'm getting flashbacks to when they brought The Brady Bunch back in the 1990s and turned it into a drama. It ain't gonna work. And once again, I go back to the whole "the personalities made the show work" thing. There's a reason why the many attempts at remaking The Munsters over the years (remember The Munsters Today? The numerous made-for-TV movies?) failed - no Fred Gwynne, no Al Lewis, and no actors who really stepped up to take their place. Changing the format isn't what will make a revival work. They pretty much would need to cast Jim Carrey as Herman to get people interested.

There are a few items on that list that sound interesting, but I'm not holding my breath on any of them. (Even if they do get made, they could end up dropping the ball like with the Wonder Woman pilot.) I'm finding myself completely apathetic towards the current crop of fantasy shows this fall as it is.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote