View Single Post
Old October 9 2011, 12:47 PM   #3487
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Eviscero wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Some people like macaroni and cheese. Most people get tired of it, if it's all they're fed. The mac-and-cheese crowd, however, always object to any change at all in the recipe or presentation. That's tiresome to the rest of us.
A more apt comparison might be to say that there are four kinds of people who like macaroni and cheese: Those who eat it frequently and want the recipe to stay the same, those who eat it frequently and want the recipe to vary, those who eat it infrequently and want the recipe to be stable, and those who eat it infrequently and want the recipe to change.
Why would people who eat mac-and-cheese infrequently necessarily even have an opinion about whether its recipe should be stable? You make it sound like everybody must have an opinion about everything, even things that don't show up on their radar.
I would expect that the the first group is by far the largest when it comes to familiar superheroes like Superman. The average moviegoer is looking for a Superman story that has all the elements familiar to them, and fills in the blanks with a good story; they would probably look for the same in macaroni in cheese: the basics made well without any novel substitutions.
Data to back this up? To connect this up with my question above, how do you even know that the audience who'll pay the lion's share of the box office for Man of Steel will care one way or the other about about the nature of these elements? Maybe they'll just be looking for a great Friday night out with the gang or with that special someone, and the issues that long time fans fret over will just blow right past them.

remind me of the key mistake of Wolfgang Petersen's Troy: the filmmakers sought to ground a well-known legend with realism when they only needed to deliver the legend that the audience knew
The "legend that the audience knew" of the Battle of Thermopylae was not Miller's reimagining of it that was presented in 300, but that didn't hurt that movie's success. Must have been something else about Troy that caused it to fail. Wait, hang on.... Petersen's Troy made just shy of half a billion dollars worldwide at the box office, with budget and marketing totaling less than half of that, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_(film) (cited according to Box Office Mojo). Yeah, I guess they're crying all the way to the bank.