View Single Post
Old October 9 2011, 07:04 AM   #3485
Cicero
Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Some people like macaroni and cheese. Most people get tired of it, if it's all they're fed. The mac-and-cheese crowd, however, always object to any change at all in the recipe or presentation. That's tiresome to the rest of us.
A more apt comparison might be to say that there are four kinds of people who like macaroni and cheese: Those who eat it frequently and want the recipe to stay the same, those who eat it frequently and want the recipe to vary, those who eat it infrequently and want the recipe to be stable, and those who eat it infrequently and want the recipe to change.

I would expect that the the first group is by far the largest when it comes to familiar superheroes like Superman. The average moviegoer is looking for a Superman story that has all the elements familiar to them, and fills in the blanks with a good story; they would probably look for the same in macaroni in cheese: the basics made well without any novel substitutions.

I don't think that Lois Lane's hair color is likely to bother any of them (I could be wrong), but losing the trunks was probably a mistake, and one I don't really understand. The seeming mistakes that tend to surround attempts at Superman films remind me of the key mistake of Wolfgang Petersen's Troy: the filmmakers sought to ground a well-known legend with realism when they only needed to deliver the legend that the audience knew.