View Single Post
Old October 7 2011, 06:19 PM   #108
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Why were so many characters on Voyager underdeveloped?

From the 'Is there something wrong with me ?' thread in General Trek Discussion -

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post

Basically all of my problems with Voyager were outlined by Ronald D. Moore after he quit the writing staff at Voyager in this interview
http://www.lcarscom.net/rdm1000118.htm
It’s a fantastic read and outlines completely how wasted the concept became
Wow - that's pretty much nailed everything that was so wrong with Voyager : it was damning. Ron has been a bit of a hero to me for years, and he has just gone up in my estimation.

The only thing I'd disagree with him on is the strength of the cast. I disliked Janeway, Tuvok and Neelix from the outset and unlike DS9 when, for instance, Sisko and Odo really grew on me, these didn't. Well, Neelix got a little better. The problems were probably as much the fault of the writing as the casting though.

I managed to watch and even enjoy Voyager after a fashion, as a halfway mindless bad guy of the week sci-fi show, but it could have been and should have been much, much more.

I'd like every Trek fan to read that interview, it certainly explains the lack of character development on Voyager...