View Single Post
Old October 7 2011, 02:40 PM   #82
Re: Why didn't Q appear in any of the TNG films?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Roles in certain TV shows and movies are written with an actor in mind
I said earlier, I wasn't discussing TV shows. The regulars already have contracts, and sometimes clauses to cover potential spin-offs. I was talking about major motion pictures. Studios do not usually commission a major motion picture to revolve around one particular actor in the guest-starring role.
It's worth pointing out that the actors playing the majore characters in the Marvel Cinematic Universe -- Robert Downey Jr., Samuel L. Jackson, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, and the like -- are being signed to contracts for as many as nine films in advance. That's meant to guarantee their availability to do cameos in films about other heroes or crossovers like The Avengers, as well as the movies that are about them. Marvel has to get an advance commitment from them to appear in as many movies as they might be needed for, because such things can't be done on a case-by-case basis. Film actors' schedules are too unpredictable unless you get them under contract well in advance.

entire TV shows and movies are birthed to be "vehicles" for a particular actor.
And often that actor's production team has commissioned the script. Or the actor has an outstanding contract for an unproduced movie to be made starring him/her.
That's right. The deal with the actor comes first, then the project is developed. You'd have to be an idiot to plan a project around a given actor's availability before you were sure the actor would be available.
Written Worlds -- Christopher L. Bennett's blog and webpage
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote