View Single Post
Old October 5 2011, 10:29 PM   #30
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (ebook) review thread

I feel like it was a really great Christopher novel sadly compressed down to an outline + moral lectures. A story that could really have demonstrated all the stuff it wanted to, but was prevented from doing so by rushed pacing.

Doesn't help that such a short story was priced at $6. I'd have really enjoyed paying $6 to read this story done well. Paying for this feels like...paying for a work in progress. Bleh.

It did, on the other hand, manage to do what I'd been hoping for from the whole Typhon Pact but got very little of, which was show how involvement in the Pact was changing the members of the Pact. So nice job there. And I liked that it referenced all the earlier Pact books, and I love the Tzenkethi sooooo much (they were the highlight of Rough Beasts for me, and kicked ass here again), and Jasminder's character arc was awesome (though Christopher does rely a bit much on having characters decide that their earlier characterizations by other authors were wrong and they need to get better, but I digress), and it was certainly thematically appropriate to recent events.

But MAN I really wanted a novel. And this should've been one. I felt the same way about Places of Exile, but this was like 12x as bad. It would seem Christopher just thinks too big for this kind of story size.
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote