View Single Post
Old October 5 2011, 05:37 PM   #74
Eric Cheung
Fleet Captain

Re: Why are the TOS movies better then the TNG movies?

sonak wrote: View Post
I've never seen this "TNG movies feel like overlong episodes" criticism from professional critics, so I suspect it's a Trek fandom meme.
I believe Siskel and Ebert specifically refer to Insurrection that way, but I'm not positive and I can't look it up right now.
Saito S wrote: View Post
Huh. I've often heard the term "high-concept" used to mean "more intellectually challenging/more complex", at least when used in the context of sci-fi. Dunno where I got it, really, so it could very well be way off-base.
High concept is a term used to refer to the process in pitch meetings of distilling a film's concept to as few words as possible. I actually learned this from an old Fall Preview issue of TV Guide which used the term in its entries for each new show. Often shows are described as "x meets y" or "Die Hard on a..." It actually means the opposite of how you've heard it used, especially when you consider its sometimes negative connotation (the Wikipedia article cites "Snakes on a Plane" or "Cowboys & Aliens"). "Hard Sci-Fi," or "cerebral," would be better terms.
Eric Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote