View Single Post
Old October 5 2011, 05:40 AM   #68
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Re: Why didn't Q appear in any of the TNG films?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^But the only thing that makes Q work is John DeLancie.
True, but I guess I need to clarify. What I mean to suggest in my earlier post was writing a draft that didn't have Q in it and another that did. Depending on how Q was used and whether or not he could be altered to a different character if needed.

We all know scripts go through several drafts and changes before they get to the filming stage. I'm sure if they wanted to use Q, they would try to sign the actor as early as possible. If DeLancie decided not to do it, they could easily do a rewrite to alter it without Q. Obviously I'm talking in general terms.

For example, look at the early drafts of Insurrection when compared to the final product. Very similar in theme and general outline, but very different in the details.

However, in the end, this is all speculative. The likely truth is that TPTB didn't want to make a movie with Q. If they did, I am sure they would have found a way to make it happen.

By itself, it's a silly, cartoony idea.
Q is no more silly or cartoony than any of the other stuff in Star Trek.