Thread: TOS Nacelles
View Single Post
Old October 4 2011, 02:17 PM   #116
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Nacelles

TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
But "warp drive [antimatter] pods" could be located anywhere...
Granted there's a little wiggle room there, but not much. References to "warp drive nacelles" and "warp drive pods" as well as "anti-matter nacelles" and "anti-matter pods" yet still other references to "matter/anti-matter nacelles" and "matter/anti-matter pods" pretty much show that the terms "nacelle" and "pod" refer to the same thing and are interchangeable.

In "The Apple" Scotty refers to the antimatter pods being inert and in reply to this, Kirk tells him to jettison the nacelles if possible; so at the very least, the pods are in the nacelles, but more likely they are the nacelles.

Also, the fact that the pods are called warp drive pods in “The Doomsday Machine” and then “Metamorphosis” indicates that that the Pods (on the shuttlecraft) are related to maneuvering, strongly implies that they are synonymous with the nacelles/propulsion units.

Perhaps... close to the (photon torpedo launcher?) antimatter tanks on Deck 11 in "Errand of Mercy"?
What dialogue establishes antimatter tanks on Deck 11?
TIN_MAN wrote: View Post
Cary L. Brown wrote: View Post
At least in TNG-and-later times, they'd come up with the idea of ejecting the warp core (something Voyager did waaaaay too often!) to deal with this. But they never mentioned anything of that sort in TOS. All they ever mentioned was the line repeated a few times here, about "escaping in the main section" (paraphrasing, I can't recall the exact words used).

For those who want the main matter/antimatter reactor, or the fusion reactors (which we KNOW were there, by DDM) to be deep within the hull... how do you deal with the idea of a problem of that nature?
Good point! Here's the most relevant dialogue from "The Savage Curtain"...

SCOTT: I can't explain it, sir, but the matter and antimatter are in red zone proximity.

KIRK: What caused that?

SCOTT: There's no knowing and there's no stopping it either. The shielding is breaking down. I estimate four hours before it goes completely. Four hours before the ship blows up.

KIRK: Scotty, inform Starfleet Command. Disengage nacelles, Jettison if possible. Mister Spock, assist them. Advise and analyze. Scotty? Scotty?

This pretty much cinches that M/A-M fuel is in the nacelles, otherwise there would be no point in disengaging/jettisoning the nacelles [specifically!] to prevent the destruction of the ship?

If the TOS 'E' had a setup like TNG then Kirk should have said something like "disengage reactor, jettison warp core if possible"?
Albertese wrote: View Post
In answer to the question of "What were the writers thinking when they wrote the word 'pod'?" I submit this late design/pre-model building drawing by the late great Walter Matthew Jefferies, which clearly indicates that the nacelles are labeled as "power pods (2)".

This demonstrates pretty conclusively that at least behind the scenes, the powers that were were using the words "pod" and "nacelle" pretty much interchangeably.

--Alex
blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
In "The Apple" Scotty refers to the antimatter pods being inert and in reply to this, Kirk tells him to jettison the nacelles if possible; so at the very least, the pods are in the nacelles, but more likely they are the nacelles.
Umm, why jettison inert antimatter pods?
From "The Apple":
KIRK: Then use your imagination. Tie every ounce of power the ship has into the impulse engines. Discard the warp drive nacelles if you have to, and crack out of there with the main section, but get that ship out of there!
I think in that context, Kirk saw that the ship needed to escape and they were short on power to do it. If they discarded the nacelles which contained the inert antimatter pods, then that would lighten the ship.

From "Errand of Mercy":
KIRK: All hands, maintain general alert. Hold battle stations. Damage report, Mister Spock.

SPOCK: Minor, Captain. We were most fortunate. Blast damage in decks ten and eleven, minor buckling in the antimatter pods, casualties very light.
Or Spock could be just listing separate items since he doesn't directly connect them by saying: "Blast damage in decks ten and eleven resulting in minor buckling in the antimatter pods and light casualties."
So far all pretty decent examples of the nacelles more then likely then not, to containing the m/am reactors. And there is more then enough on screen evidence to support other sources of supplementry and backup power.

And this is what I was hoping to see- more on screen quotes and evidence to assist this.

I will point out that cannon does not exclude off screen evidence like the Jefferies drawing above. Cannon by definition includes all material created by authorities on a subject. In this case, the people commissioned by paramount who owns the rights, gives us additional material to work with. And disregard

I've been looking for an online site that contains the scripts for TOS so i can search through all 79 episodes with key words... Anyone have any links to one?

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote