View Single Post
Old September 30 2011, 05:20 AM   #23
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

The edition of the trilogy I read has an interesting afterword by Kim Stanley Robinson, which said among other things that the friends of PKD/Horselover Fat's in VALIS named Kevin and David are supposed to represent KW Jeter and Tim Powers, which I find amusing and interesting as a big Powers fan. He also argued that Angel Archer was the voice of a reintegrated real PKD, no longer the sundered parts of "Phil Dick" and"Horselover Fat" from VALIS. Maybe that's why I liked Transmigration the best, it was the most interesting authorial voice of the three for me. The Dick/Fat split made for a lot of cognitive dissonance for the reader, which was of course part of the point I think, but it wasn't always that pleasant. Angel stoned and reading Howard the Duck while her husband ranted about Wallenstein and Hitler was classic.

Past Master looks promising, it's about a troubled future society bringing Sir Thomas More ahead in time to help run their world.

I've never read Frankenstein either, it's on the short list going forward.

Last edited by Santa Klaus; September 30 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote