View Single Post
Old September 29 2011, 09:23 AM   #8
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Re: DS9: A continuation

Here is part 2 of the third chapter:

Part 2

Day 5, 1100 hours

Holo sat on his chair studying some battle plans at his station on the Defiant's bridge. Being a hologram he could multi-task; simultaneously looking over the battle plans while monitoring the Defiant's warp core. Nobody was paying Holo any attention, and that suited him just fine.

He was busy carefully studying the rescue operation, looking for potential problems that might arise during the operation. Indeed Holo had definitely found a problem; the captain may or may not know about the problem he found, but he had to voice his concerns to Ezri.

Standing up, he walked over to the commander’s chair which Ezri was occupying.

Ezri looked at him. “Yes officer?” She inquired.

Officer... thought Holo, but he brushed this annoyance aside, his voice was confident and concise when he spoke to Ezri. “Captain I believe there is a serious and hidden risk to this mission.”

“Which is?” Ezri asked.

Holo elaborated. “The last know transmission from the Liberty seemed to suggest that the attacking Cardassian ships decloaked. What if we are walking into an ambush? We don't know how many ships are awaiting us, and if they're all cloaked we're in for a nasty surprise,” he concluded.

Ezri's face remained neutral. “Lieutenant commander...?”

“Holo sir,” he added, how could she have forgotten his name?

“Mr Holo, what would a hologram know about cloaking devices and military tactics?” asked Ezri in a dismissive tone.

Holo ignored the insult and answered the question. “Enough to know that we're heading into a trap.”

For one moment there was little flicker of surprise on Ezri’s face, and Holo could tell that Ezri was inwardly impressed by his astuteness.

Although Ezri was not directly looking at Holo, when she spoke to him. “I know that Mr Holo now if you would-”

Holo interrupted her; he would not tolerate such bad manners from anyone, not even Starfleet captains. “Would look at me when you’re talking? It's polite you know,” he demanded.

Ezri looked surprised. “You are a hologram, why are manners so important to you?” she asked Holo.

“Because it's polite to do so,” he calmly replied. “A person deserves respect and courtesy whether he is a humanoid or a sentient hologram.”

Ezri looked straight into his eyes with a doubtful expression. “I'll keep that in mind,” she said. “Dismissed commander.”

Holo returned to his station without saying another word; it was quite clear to him that his captain could not perceive of the concept that hologram's could be fully sentient, or as sentient as she was. Worst of all she seemed convinced that Holo's sentience was merely an illusion, an illusion created by advanced computer programming and algorithms.

Funny, he thought, that a being made of meat would scoff at the idea that intelligence can reside in metal and photons. If holograms were the predominant race would I scoff at the idea that intelligence could reside in meat? Holo did not have any answers to that question

Day 6, 1100 hours

Gilsa stood close to a sandstone cliff as he waited for his contact to arrive. He was a Vizorian, and by all rights, he should not even be in this galaxy. Though he looked human there was one major difference; an energy being lived inside his body. The Vizorians called these energy beings Kuvi and every Vizorian had a Kuvi.

Both the Kuvi and the Vizorian host were bound together, each supporting the other. The Vizorian host protected the Kuvi, while the Kuvi supported the host's vital functions, repairing injuries incurred by the host and revitalized DNA, giving the host a huge amount of longevity. It was the Kuvi who gave the host special telekinetic powers and senses.

Using his senses Gilsa detected that someone was coming towards him. This someone was disturbing the electromagnetic fields that permeated through the air. Gilsa was hidden from view by a cloaking field and a device inside his fingernail generated the cloaking field. He did not want anyone except his contact to see him. “Who's there?” he called out.

“It's me Bordak,” answered a voice.

Gilsa could see the Cardassian; it definitely looked liked Bordak. So he tapped his fingernail with his right thumb and dropped the cloaking field.

He immediately wielded his disruptor pointing it at Bordak. “Get your hands behind your head!” he ordered.

Lazily Bordak obeyed. “As you say,” he said with a sigh.

Gilsa took a swab of Bordak's skin, using his tricorder to scan the sample. The last thing he needed was a Tren agent in disguise. It was definitely Bordak all right. “All clear,” he replied. “I have to do this procedure because for all I know, you could be a Tren agent in disguise.”

Bordak though didn’t seem interested in Gilsa's security measures. “Never mind that, he snarled, “is the deal still on?”

“Yes,” said Gilsa. “Despite your attempts to destroy that women,” he added.

Bordak looked livid, and his mouth contorted in rage when he spoke. “Destroy? I've kept Megan alive despite my reservations for doing so. I torture her because of the pain and suffering her father inflicted upon me-”

Gilsa interrupted Bordak. “Yes you have to do the typical Cardassian revenge and retribution routine on your enemies, and it's disgusts me! It's even more disgusting as Megan is innocent of her father's crimes.”

Bordak looked nonplussed at Gilsa. “Megan's alive isn't she?” stated Bordak sounding uncaring. “That was all you wanted; her survival. Correct?”

Gilsa had to inwardly compose himself. “Forget it,” he said, handing Bordak a padd. “Here's the rendezvous coordinates just be there with Megan and stay out of sight. When the Tren and Cardassians have left this prison then I'll beam you out of that position onto my ship. Don't worry if you run into Federation personal as Megan will be safe in there hands, and I'll beam you out of there.”

“That's it?” Bordak asked.

“Yes Bordak,” said Gilsa sarcastically. “Now leave and get out of my sight!”

There was rage in Bordak's eyes, but he left Gilsa without saying a word.

Why did it come to this?Gilsa thought. Dealing with Cardassian tyrants to safeguard a Vizorian! He had left Megan at the mercy of Bordak's wrath. From the moment Megan had been captured by the Cardassians, he should have taken her off the planet. But at the time, there was a significant chance that the Tren may have captured Megan first. If the Tren had known Megan was a high value prisoner she would have been as good as dead, thankfully Bordak made sure that never happened.

Gilsa knew that her survival was far more important than her actual well-being. There were other reasons for not directly rescuing Megan, though right now these reasons seemed like feeble excuses to Gilsa. However sometime tomorrow Megan would be rescued by the Federation, where she would be safe for the time being, and her suffering would finally end.

He kept telling himself that to try to ease his guilty conscience. With nothing more to do, Gilsa tapped a device on his left wrist, and he beamed off the planet and onto his ship.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote