View Single Post
Old September 28 2011, 01:51 AM   #97
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: JD's Comic Book Thread

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I love the Bendis Avengers franchise. It does get too talky sometimes, and his particular "everyone talks the same way" style does annoy me, but he tells some really huge big event stories.
I agree. Bendis dared to do something different with the Avengers, and that's the only thing that made it palatable to me, although there always those who cry "blasphemy!".

I had been out of comics for about 10 years when Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men run brought me back to the comic store, and this was right around the same time that New Avengers debuted. Joss Whedon got me back into the Comic Book Store, but it was Bendis that got me back into the larger Marvel Universe.

When I saw NA #1 with Spider-Man and Wolverine on the cover, it got my attention. When I thumbed through it, if I had seen just another variation on the same old theme, I would have put it back down, but it was a different take on the concept.

I liked that Spidey was becoming an Avenger, a move that I thought was waaaaaay overdue (I am, however, indifferent about Wolvie being an Avenger). It was an honor that the character deserved on a dozen different levels. I liked that it wasn't the same old crew hanging at the mansion being served tea by Jarvis and waiting for the UN to call.

And while his isn't the best Avengers run ever (That would be Roger Stern's run), you have to admit that Bendis successfully turned the Avengers into Marvel's number 1 franchise. If, ten years ago, someone had told me that one day I would be buying more Avengers books than X-Men and Spider-Man combined, I would have laughed at them. And yet, here we are.