View Single Post
Old September 27 2011, 01:37 AM   #24
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Where Was Shatner At The Enterprise Shuttle Rollout?

jk82 wrote: View Post
Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
^^This! Shatner and Doohan had amazing on-camera chemistry! I was even more amazed at their professionalism and acting abilities when I learned that they were not friends.

Sir Rhosis
Exactly.

I read some people's comments claiming that Mr. Shatner was super jealous of Mr. Nimoy etc. When I saw him in TOS and movies I was thinking this man must be a great, great, great actor (to be able to hide his dislike for Spock so effortlessly) because all I saw was genuine friendship and love toward Spock.

And then I found out that in reality, Mr. Shatner and Mr. Nimoy have become best friends. So I had to seriously re-evaluate Mr. Shatner's acting skills. LOL

While it is true that Shatner and Nimoy have become best friends, they weren't particularly close during the three years while making TOS. After reading Gene Roddenberry's biography and Herb Solow and Robert Justman's making of Star Trek book, it is clear that during the making of Star Trek, Shatner and Nimoy didn't like each other at all.

Shatner was jealous that Nimoy got more fan mail and more attention from the makeup and lighting people on set, even though Shatner was the star.

Nimoy was jealous that Shatner got more money and more screen time even though Spock was the more popular and unique character. And Nimoy felt that he put more effort into creating his character and performing while Shatner could barely remember his lines.

As time went on their relationship improved, to the point where they can joke about it now, and they are indeed quite good friends.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote