Old September 26 2011, 12:30 AM   #729
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

144. Michael Clayton (A)
145. Wall Street (B)
146. The Change-Up (D-)
147. Crazy Stupid Love (B+)

Michael Clayton: I haven't seen this since it was in theatres, but I'm happy to say it still holds up. Tom Wilkinson's monologue that opens the film is excellent, and the rest of the cast is just as good. I was surprised upon second viewing just how little screen time Tilda Swinton has. She leaves such an impression in a short period of time.

Wall Street: Very 80s in style, moreso than most of Oliver Stone's other films from this decade, but I think the movie holds up overall -- just not as well as some of Stone's other work from this period. Michael Douglas is still great as Gekko. Sean Young is still underused as his wife.

The Change-Up: Probably the worst comedy I've seen in a while, the reviews were too kind to this film (and they weren't that kind). At almost two hours, it was at least 30 minutes too long, and made me laugh perhaps a dozen times during the whole film. Ryan Reynolds continues to not impress me (see: Green Lantern) and Jason Bateman can do better.

Crazy Stupid Love: A very funny movie with a very good cast. Really, the only thing holding it back is that I was never able to buy the inciting incident of Ryan Gosling's character helping out Steve Carrel. It's a moment of plot trumping character, although it sets in motion a lot of very funny (and, at times, dark) moments. Perhaps my favorite comedy from this year.

155 movies this year. Still behind, but not as much as I once was.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote