View Single Post
Old September 25 2011, 07:31 AM   #727
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen in 2011

The Guard (A +) (2011) Starring Brendan Gleeson and Don Cheadle. An Irish Black comedy film about an unorthodox Irish police officer (Gleeson) who ends up teaming up with an FBI Agent (Don Cheadle) to investigate an international drug smuggling gang that has been operating off the Irish coast. It's a hilariously funny but dark movie and easily one of the finest films of the year for me and worth watching just for Gleeson's performance which is Oscar worth in my opinion. It has a kind of "The Dark Knight Returns" type of feel to it. Harry Potter fans will know Gleeson as Mad Eye Moody from the films. It also stars Mark Strong as one of the gang members who has perhaps one of my favorite dialogue exchanges in a very long time.

Drive (A) (2011) A Ryan Gosling, Carey Mulligan, Bryan Cranston, Ron Perlman, and Albert Brooks. A tremendously stylish almost retro 80's film about an unnamed driver (Gosling) who takes jobs as a driver and works as a Hollywood stunt man. He gets involved in a heist scheme which turns deadly. I can't really get into it without spoiling the film but it was a tremendous film which is kind of difficult for me to explain. It will most likely remain in my top ten favorite films of this year. The score was incredible as was the cinematography.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote