View Single Post
Old September 25 2011, 04:23 AM   #11
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri
Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

Shurik wrote: View Post
Finishing Steven Erikson's "Gardens Of The Moon". Good stuff, once you understand who's who and what's going on.

Wiki says that the series has 10 books and that it's finished. How's the rest of them compared to "Gardens Of The Moon"?
I've read the first 5 books, with 6-9 on my bookshelf and just waiting for mass market paperback release of the 10th.

Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice are really great, House of Chains is a major departure from the inter-related stories of the first three, but stars a couple real badass main characters. Midnight Tides was the clear low point for me of the first 5. Seems like it was mostly to set up plot for later books.

This is a great series if you like world building and huge, sweeping plotlines. I love it, but the length of the books means I always have to take a long break between installments. Erikson is a good writer.

I just read Without Warning by John Birmingham. Loved it, so tense and cataclysmic.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote