View Single Post
Old September 24 2011, 06:51 AM   #3292
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Python Trek wrote: View Post
And on a related note: The super-hero movie humor that actually does offend me is stuff like Wolverine's "yellow spandex" crack in X-Men I. It was a dig at the comics, and symptomatic of the self-loathing that many comicbook movie screenwriters have for their source material. I cannot stress this enough: If you are ashamed of the conventions of the genre, then pick another genre! Superheroes wear tights. They are noble. They save lives and right wrongs. Why do the movies run away from that innocent sense of fun? Why must these films always be angsty, smutty, PG-13 crap?
Actually I seem to recall that, if the "yellow spandex" line was taking a jab at anything, it was at another possibility for their costumes that might have been used on screen, but that didn't work out. When I saw the movie, I interpreted the line as admission that yellow spandex could have been better, at least in an ideal world.

Yes, according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Men_(...gn_and_effects, it looks like I'm right:
The filmmakers decided not to replicate the X-Men costumes as seen in the comic book. Stan Lee and Chris Claremont supported this decision. Claremont joked, "you can do that on a drawing, but when you put it on people it's disturbing!"[5] Producer/co-writer Tom DeSanto had been supportive of using the blue and yellow color scheme of the comics,[1] but once he saw tests of them, he declared, "No, that just doesn't work." Despite receiving positive feedback from various associates at Marvel Comics for the black costume design, fans on the internet still had negative emotions when X-Men was filming.[39] To acknowledge the fan complaints, Singer added Cyclops' line "What would you prefer, yellow spandex?" when Wolverine complains about wearing their uniforms during filming. Singer noted that durable black leather made more sense for the X-Men to wear as protective clothing.[1]
[1] Hughes, David (2003). Comic Book Movies. Virgin Books. pp. 177188. ISBN 0-7535-0767-6.
[5] Stan Lee, Chris Claremont, Bryan Singer, Lauren Shuler Donner, Tom DeSanto, Avi Arad, The Secret Origin of The X-Men, 2000, 20th Century Fox
[39] Scott Chitwood (2000-02-10). "DeSanto talks about X-Men costumes". IGN. Retrieved 2008-08-10.
So, you are saying Stan Lee should pick another genre?