View Single Post
Old September 24 2011, 04:41 AM   #852
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I was obviously mistaken, not knowing who wrote the comic.

The name itself still sticks out as odd to me (it's not one I've ever heard or seen before) as is the character's use of Spanish in that manner struck me as odd as well.

The writer may be Hispanic but, in my opinion, that doesn't make the panel/page any less silly. It seems to be trying to hard to inject a Hispanic character into the story. Rather than making the character look Hispanic and leaving it at that they have to go all out and make the character practically say "Look at me! Mia Espanol!"

I may have been wrong about the intentions behind the author but I still find it a bit silly and "trying too hard" to diversify the comic's "cast."
I haven't read the comic yet, but I personally find it odd that so few non-white, Caucasian characters exist in comics, especially when so many of the stories take place in versions of New York where you can hear several different languages being spoken anywhere you go, or in any office.

Spanish has regional dialects and slang in every country in Latin America. My wife who is Colombian needed me to translate Guatemalan Spanish for her for the first two or three months we lived here because the terminology for many things is different than what she is used to, and I first learned my Spanish in Central America.

My four year old kids tell people they speak Canadian, Colombian and Guatemalan.

Myasihchev, my joke wasn't really criticising the name itself, but rather that she is Ms. "left" like Sinestro. Yeah, silly and dumb I know.

EDIT: Okay, I just read the bit. Yes, that is pretty bad dialogue, but all the way around, not just the Spanish.

Last edited by theenglish; September 24 2011 at 04:49 AM. Reason: more info
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote