View Single Post
Old September 24 2011, 04:09 AM   #850
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I was obviously mistaken, not knowing who wrote the comic.

The name itself still sticks out as odd to me (it's not one I've ever heard or seen before) as is the character's use of Spanish in that manner struck me as odd as well.

The writer may be Hispanic but, in my opinion, that doesn't make the panel/page any less silly. It seems to be trying to hard to inject a Hispanic character into the story. Rather than making the character look Hispanic and leaving it at that they have to go all out and make the character practically say "Look at me! Mia Espanol!"

I may have been wrong about the intentions behind the author but I still find it a bit silly and "trying too hard" to diversify the comic's "cast."
There is no Hispanic look. They can have dark skin or light skin, curly hair or straight hair, be a blonde, brunette or red head. And yes, some do mix english and spanish when they speak.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote