View Single Post
Old September 24 2011, 12:34 AM   #55
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: Why are the TOS movies better then the TNG movies?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Saito S wrote: View Post
TMP is the only film that attempts high-concept sci-fi" in the first place
Instead of high-concept, I think the word you might be looking for is epic.

A high concept film is often thought of as a film with mass market appeal whose premise and plot can be summarized very briefly. The concept behind the film is so strong and clear (so high), it doesn't need a lot of words to express.

2001: A Space Odyssey is not high concept either. But it is an epic.
Huh. I've often heard the term "high-concept" used to mean "more intellectually challenging/more complex", at least when used in the context of sci-fi. Dunno where I got it, really, so it could very well be way off-base.

But yes, either way, what I meant was the definition I just used. "Contact" would be an example of it, as would "2001"; many hard sci-fi novels would be as well. Star Trek sometimes treads on this ground. Star Wars, on the other hand, is very much NOT it.

Just to give a better idea of what I meant, since I apparently fail at using terminology correctly today.
Harvey wrote: View Post
TNG was an ensemble series on television. On film, it became the Picard/Data show. TOS was about three characters with a supporting cast. That dynamic was maintained, more or less, in the film series (though McCoy doesn't always get as much to do as he did on the series).

TNG probably would have worked better as a series of telemovies, which would have allowed for more time to highlight the ensemble in a way that wasn't possible with four movies made over the course of a decade.
I dunno about telemovies, I'm not sure that would have worked, but I agree about what you are saying in general here. It's actually a bit of a strange reversal: TOS (the show) intentionally focused on a "big three", with the others being secondary characters. TNG, on the other hand, was much more of an overall ensemble from the beginning, and generally did a pretty good job of feeling like one... on the show.

With the movies, TOS - despite the original show focusing mainly on the big three - actually did a pretty good job giving the other characters cool things to do, meaningful lines, etc. On the other hand, the TNG movies, despite being based on a show that was much more of an ensemble than TOS was, narrowed the focus, with each of the four movies being more "PICARD AND DATA oh and I guess there are some other main characters too huh?" than the last.
Saito S is offline   Reply With Quote