View Single Post
Old September 23 2011, 11:15 PM   #52
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Saito S
Re: Why are the TOS movies better then the TNG movies?

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Saito S, you said
Saito S wrote: View Post
TMP was the only one out of all eleven films that tries to be more than an action movie
I believe the point that TWOK climaxed at a moment of major character development directly contradicts this in the case of TWOK. The fact that TVH has no action directly contradicts it in that case. (How can a movie be a "comedic romp" while "not trying to be anything more than an action movie", anyway?) And so forth.
I acknowledged TVH as being excluded from my characterization of "all the movies", in both posts, so I don't know why it's being brought up at all, let alone repeatedly.

I admit my first post wasn't very well written. The main points I've been trying to get at are what I outlined in my second post: that none of the movies except TMP even attempt high-concept sci-fi (that part you quoted from me probably should have said "TMP is the only film that attempts high-concept sci-fi" in the first place), that none of the movies except TMP and TVH break away from a "main villain" storyline (and TVH may not have a villain or any "action", but it still doesn't have a lot of DEPTH. It's a comedy, which - in terms of the specific criticism I am leveling at the Trek films - isn't any better), and that at their absolute best, the films are not really able to compete with the shows at THEIR absolute best in terms of depth. They are good sci-fi adventure movies. Now, don't get me wrong, good sci-fi adventure is fine. But the shows often succeeded without sticking to the type of formula that the movies almost ALWAYS stuck to; I think it would have been cool to see a really good movie that also broke away from that formula. One way in which the movies do excel is in character development. Moments like the climax of TWOK (as well as the glasses scene with Kirk and McCoy much earlier in the film) are well-realized, but I personally found them to be rather few, and the rest of the movie to be pretty shallow (Kahn himself was completely flat and generic as a villain to me).
Regardless of whether you realized or acknowledged the movies had other things going for them, what you said there certainly warrants addressing, which is what I did.

Based on your most recent post, I believe what you are trying to say is that you wish the others had been more like TMP. But that's completely different from what you had said in the first place.
Not so much "I wish they had been more like TMP" specifically, at least not in any way other than the concept and premise, since I don't actually think TMP is very good in execution. But I think what I'm trying to say is clear at this point (and again, I acknowledge that my first post was sloppy and did not convey what I was trying to say very well).
Saito S is online now   Reply With Quote