View Single Post
Old September 23 2011, 12:32 AM   #797
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Dennis wrote: View Post
I gather that the snippets of dialogue like "I don't talk to fish" are her super-hearing kicking in, but isn't it convenient then that everything she hears from afar are remarks ascribable to DC characters we can recognize? It's not like she overhears some unidentified twelve year-old shrieking at his mother in Hunan dialect or something.
They did throw some Russian in. Ubil bol'shye 20 chyem povstantsev. If I'm correct, that's "...Has killed more than twenty insurgents." They could've done more.

I'm imagining the idea of J.H. Williams handling that scene and it's beautiful.

You know, it's funny, I noticed somewhere in some comments section someone talking about how Supergirl has "different powers than Superman" because her scream is weaponizable. I thought that was a weird comment; Superman can do that too (e.g., "For the Man Who Has Everything," where he deafens Jason Todd and sets up the brutal scene in "Death in the Family" where he doesn't hear the Joker coming). He doesn't do Black Canary tactics because he release gamma rays from his eyes, and screaming at Lex Luthor is is redundant and collateral damagy.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@Myaschiev (I think i got your name wrong this time!) they seem to be doing something interesting with the aliens in the DCU 52 Verse this time around. The comment regarding seeing Kori for the first time from that soldier who saw the little kid's cell phone pic of her would indicate at least to me that no one has seen an Tamaranean...or at least not seen one in a while. Maybe wide spread contact has been limited in this continuity...via some kind of Green Lantern quarantine on Earth? I'm reaching incredibly high here but otherwise I got nothing...lol. Adam Strange could be part of a future wave??
I sorta like it. It's kind of weird that the Green Lanterns, historically, don't seem to ever do anything until a threat's right on top of a planet. On the other hand, I guess there's no such thing as a blue water space navy.

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Why bother?

The Andy Diggle Adam Strange story was the best reboot of the character since the horrible Kubert stuff.
I thought people liked the Paul Pope Wednesday Comics thing.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The issue of Starfire is touched on here...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/...the-outlaws-1/
You know what I found offensive about that part? It's overwritten. "I'm free. [beat] What about you?" And scene. We're done.

I mean, it's not like I read this thing. Maybe it sucks even worse in context. I've seen the phrase "sex slave" pop up in chatter; I'm only vaguely familiar with the character; but I remember in R.E.B.E.L.S. she killed some sex slavers, and it made Vril Dox express some kind of emotion, but I forget what. Probably anger and frustration, insofar as we're talking about Vril Dox here.

Also, I've never mentioned this, but George Perez drew Starfire as kind of horrifying, didn't he? Seriously, imagine that in real life. It's like a wide-awake nightmare. Those glowing, pupilless, monstrously large eyes... the eyes of a predator, or a demon, perhaps.

Last edited by Myasishchev; September 23 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote