View Single Post
Old September 22 2011, 02:22 AM   #733
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Also Legion of Super-Heroes is in tact still carrying on as I mentioned. I don't think they tricked anyone at all. There is if one takes a logical non-emotional glance at things...something for everyone. I just don't think this approach works very well, but again we will see after the first arcs complete themselves.
I dunno. You put a #1 on a cover, you raise certain expectations. Legion Lost and to a lesser degree the LSH title are extremely poor introductions. I mean, jeez, even a text recap page would be something. I'm not saying I got tricked (especially on LSH today, I mean, I knew what I was getting into) but c'mon. There's got to be a better way to do it than that.

ETA: actually, on reflection, I might go so far as to say that Legion Lost was more comprehensible than LSH. In LSH, they're sad 'cause someone died. Thankfully, they refer to them by their given name, so there's no confusion there at all. Also, they have awesome, well-known Legionnaires like Chemical King and some woman with red hair who breathes... acid? Why do you need Lady Reptile when you have Chemical King? Corrosion is sort of his bag, isn't it? Also, I initially thought Chemical King was a redesigned Matter-Eater Lad (sunglasses, green and yellow color scheme) and am disappointed even though only my ignorance is to blame.

I guess it has Brainiac in it. Hooray! And I will give them credit for setting up what a "Daxamite" is, in dialogue between Brainy and Mon-El, before the last page reveal. That's almost like trying.

So far, the only things I really want to get next month are Animal Man, Action, Batwoman, and Wonder Woman. Although I guess if you just handed me the Legion books, Supergirl, OMAC, and Resurrection Man, I would read them. I might get them? But seriously, Grifter sucks. Don't buy it, folks!

I feel like I need to pick up Demon Knights from last week, too. It's supposed to be the good Paul Cornell, like in Action Comics or Knight and Squire (which I didn't read but am assured is quality), not a horse pill like Stormwatch.

What's up next week anyway? Flash, Firestorm, Justice League Almond are the only ones of note I can think of (I guess there's New Guardians; I hope it has a villain powered by cocaine).

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote