View Single Post
Old September 22 2011, 12:08 AM   #720
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Dennis wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
I really like Supergirl.

I was a thirteen year old kid...over four decades ago.
Don't take this the wrong way--people can react to things in different ways--but why? I'm genuinely curious, and feel like maybe I missed something. It felt like a mint to me when I wanted a meal--I mean, I just realized that it only had one scene.

I enjoyed the one scene. You know, this one moment in the character's life is what Veep Biden would call "a big fucking deal," maybe the biggest, and so first off I don't have a problem as such with making a story out of it and sticking with it rather than - I don't know, doing flashbacks or going to another POV or setting up a subplot for a future issue in a clear fashion.

I like the art. I like the character's narration and POV. The fact that she's basically Superman and has no reason to like or even give a shit about anyone around her now is pretty amusing.

I like the lightness of it all - she's a teenager, she thinks she's going to live forever anyway, and all of this is in turns confusing and annoying and scary but it's going to take a while before any of it gets very real.

And I think doing the story in first person but having the reader/audience know everything while the character talking to you knows nothing is an approach that always has a nice suspense about it.
I can see where you're coming from. This is what I meant when I said it wasn't bad in a positive, or affirmative, way--like, what's there is not badly written--

--Even the narration, which has a tendency to be badly written. Not by the Mikes, I mean, who do a decent job here, but by everybody else. I think it's interesting that this storytelling trick seems to be making a comeback, although everyone seems to have forgotten how to do it properly--

--But I didn't get a lot from the comic itself, other than "Kara is confused (and thinks she's dreaming)". Like you said, this is definitely the correct and proper tone, but I thought the execution of that concept, i.e. a very long fight scene with cypher enemies, was a mistake.

Trekker4747 wrote:
I mean, it's Batman!
Indeed. That's why I didn't buy it, personally.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote