View Single Post
Old September 21 2011, 01:28 AM   #338
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Astraea wrote: View Post
Colonel Midnight wrote: View Post
The last two books could've definitely gotten some more editing/fat-trimming out of them, I think.

(Speaking of which, is it just me, or are almost all of the Lords This-and-That fat and/or huge beyond belief? Especially in ADWD, it seemed like every non-POV/non-major male character was a porker!)

But yes, all in all... pretty good reads.

Cheers,
-CM-
I agree about the need for editing in the last two books; in particular, Tyrion and Dany's chapters needed some serious trimming in ADWD.

But I'm not sure about the comment about ADWD having a large amount of large lords. Aside from Wyman Manderly, Tyrion's lord who died of the pale mare, and Doran Martell, who else is really fat? (Come to think of it, Doran Martell might not even be fat - I'm only thinking of him as such because he's got such bad gout, which is traditionally associated with overindulgence.) Any other large characters were introduced long before ADWD: Illyrio, Sam, possibly Varys, Robert Baratheon, and Lollys (and none of them are lords except Robert, who's obviously not in ADWD.)
Well, I meant more in the world throughout, more than just ADWD. But it did seem (to me) to introduce a lot of... large characters.

You also have:
Strong Belwas;
One (or more ) of the Freys;
Larry, Moe & Curly zo Hizdahr ();
Lady Genna Lannister;
Xaro Xhoan Daxos;
Yezzan zo Qaggaz (Gesundheit!), etc.

Granted, none of the above are really major characters, but cripes... it just seemed like everytime one or more of them were described or showed up, there was a reference to their size. YMMV, of course.

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote