View Single Post
Old September 20 2011, 10:12 PM   #314
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Yeah, I have no problems watching Netflix stuff in HD, but then I have a new computer and Verizon FiOS.
Is it wrong that I sometimes hug my cable modem?

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
I would agree except for stuff like Hulu actually working. In any case, Netflix streaming is pretty worthless to me; and I'm sure I'm not alone. The only point I'm trying to make is that the cheers for streaming do not compromise the entire world's population; hell, there are places in the U.S. that still don't even have the basic infrastructure for high speed internet (and satellite only goes as long as you don't have trees blocking the signal).
Hulu runs at a much lower resolution than Netflix. Even Hulu's HD broadcasts are inferior to Netflix's standard resolution. It also depends upon what equipment you use. There is a small but important difference if you use devices. I use a Roku box for my Netflix streaming, which has a different API than the PC, which has a different API than the XBOX 360 and so on.

If you're having trouble on all of your devices, then it's likely your provider isn't giving you enough throughput to keep a stable, higher end connection. That would likely be with the CO. Again, my netbook gives me DVD quality resolution, my PC gives me HD resolutions, my Roku box gives me HD resolutions, without a single hiccup (well, 99% of the time), and maybe an 8 second pre-buffer.

In regard to the cheers for streaming, no one here is saying that it comprises the world's population. It is true, though, that streaming is the future, and while physical media may have it's place in the future as well, it's role will be severely diminished.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote