View Single Post
Old September 20 2011, 07:10 AM   #4
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Sigils and Unions/SigCat: The Spark in Yartek's Eye

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
Wow, from candles and gas lights to landing on another planet within 90 years!
To put that into a little bit of interesting perspective, IRL we went from about that level to Apollo 11 in 100 years. Of course, the "space race" only started in earnest with Sputnik in 1957. Given 90 years to work with a goal the Hebitians saw as desirable and achievable, I felt like it would be possible for them to go through a period of rapid advancement. Even as tradition-bound as Hebitians are, I felt like this goal would light their minds on fire.

(What's also fun is that at least for a part of their history, this means humanity doesn't have bragging rights in the Trekiverse. )

Clearly, the presence of another habitable world in their system spurred not only stories, but scientific and technological progress as well. They had a goal and it seemed reachable to them to work hard and fast to accomplish it. And they did.
Let's be honest; what kept us here in the US going fast with our space technology was the prospect of beating some Soviet behind. And of course the fact that similar technology was used for ICBM's and defense against them. Once that motivation went away, and that drive to be first and best, the ironic thing is that our space program decayed into the pitiful state it's now in.

When I was little, during the Cold War, it seemed like we were still working hard, and a Mars mission was considered feasible. Now...honestly, I don't think most of the public really cares about rocks and gas balls in space.

Having a habitable world in their backyard motivated the Hebitians in a major way. I suspect that it wasn't just governments, but private investors getting in on the effort in a serious manner. I don't think the government had a technological monopoly, and I'm sure the existence of some private sector initiative kept things moving faster too.

I especially liked that society changed to let real names of Tehir and Miti be known. Seems like a lot of things changed on Hebitian within those 90 years and those changes weren't limited to building a rocket and sowing warm clothes.
I think there is still some gender disparity in their society--but things did improve, enough to where the idea of a male speculative-fiction author no longer seemed so foreign or offensive.

And the title Blabber...at once I thought "It must be a tabloid!"
I couldn't get Tehir to tell me if that was the real name of the paper or if that was just his smart-a$$ name for it. I will leave that for the reader to decide.

But the situation on Hebitian in the times of Tehir an Miti was really troubling. The aggression against the Hăzăkda, the justification of that aggression and lack of any reaction from their spiritual leader? I wonder if it stopped by the time of Skadren; if in the face of possibility of "alien" lifeforms the Hebitians felt that they are all one, not two and not first-second. Tehir and Miti's real names were revealed, so maybe other changes to better followed.
"Troubling" is a very good word for it. It ought to be troubling. I wonder if there was anything else about it that disturbed you or that you found chilling, as well as the clerical misconduct?

I tend to believe the overt violence and some of the discrimination had stopped...but that unfortunately, just as happened to the Australian Aborigines, a lot of damage was still done. That's the reason in my universe why we didn't see more people like Macet. Many died.

It is clear, though, that while they criticise the spiritual leaders and disagree with them, they don't reject their religion and Oralius. They just think that those people are misguided and misinterpret Oralius's will.
There are others, including those of the "Leaderless Sects" (don't think Tehir and Miti were official members of such a sect, though they sympathized), who presented those alternative interpretations. To them, it's a result of poor if not outright corrupt scriptural scholarship. They believe the main messages in the Hebitian Records make that clear.

And then their energy goes to discussing the technology of the future. Now I imagine that Tehir's books were a lot like Star Trek: sci-fi but a few decades later futuristic devices and tools from his stories became everyday items, surrounding everyone and serving everyone every day.
I tend to think of Tehir Mejurak as being something like the Cardassian Jules Verne. Even better that his wife was his illustrator and beta reader!

A great story
Thanks. I'm glad you liked it!