View Single Post
Old September 17 2011, 05:23 PM   #38
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: First 20 Pages of The Struggle Within Available on S&S.com

JWolf wrote: View Post
76 pages at most and it's $5.99. This is way out of line.
Agreed.

Peter David's The Camelot Papers eBook was 100,000 words and $4.99. Jennifer Pournelle's Outies (a sequel to The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle) was 110,000 words and $2.65. Tony Lee's Dodge & Twist eBook was 85,000 words and $2.99. All eBook originals. (They're the last three that I bought.) All significantly longer than Struggle, all priced less.

I admit that the economic model is different for these eBooks than for a Star Trek eBook. All three of these are, essentially, self-published, and the writers worked without an advance, so the overhead costs are less. And they don't have the licensing fees and such built in that a Star Trek book would have.

I think $2.99 would be a more realistic price point for Struggle; a publisher can charge a little more for an established property. $5.99, however, isn't competitive on price or content, and if Pocket is attempting to put a toe back in the eBook pond, that price point may not get enough nibbles for them to continue.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote