View Single Post
Old September 10 2011, 08:09 AM   #330
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I just realized there's kind of a plot hole in animal man. So, Buddy won't get his daughter Maxine a dog, right? Because he claims that being around one animal for any extended period messes him up, because he imprints on that animal power or whatever. Okay, we can leave out humans for whatever dumb reason (could Buddy manipulate the morphogenetic field to grab the "power" of a human smarter than him?).

But the plot hole is that we, and our homes, are covered in animals. Millions of them. Why don't spiders, cockroaches, flies, and dust mites mess him up?

I don't think he's lying. Maybe Lemire just didn't consider it, or considered it and decided his story was more important, as the cliffhanger relies on Buddy's refusal to get a dog... I know that sounds lame, but it's the awesomest last page out of all 14 of the books. If so, I couldn't fault him for it.

Also, I know it's never been how Animal Man's been visually depicted, but since they're rebooting it anyway it might've been nice to see him actually assume the trappings of the animals he's emulating. Like, I get that the power of an eagle lets him fly, but when an eagle does it, its wings hold it up. Buddy Baker just takes off like Superman. What's holding him? It's always been visually off-putting.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote