View Single Post
Old September 9 2011, 06:17 PM   #304
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
TV has both arc based and stand alone shows. Though the stand alones are getting less common. The Law and Orders were the most sucessfull of recent stand alones. I guess CSI are stand alones. Haven't watched enough to be sure. Many shows are a mix ( especially sit coms) with sub plots connecting what are mostly stand alones main plots.
See, the big difference between Law and Order and a comic book is that Law and Order is about three to six times longer, depending on how the comic is paced. So to get the just the equivalent of a Law and Order episode, let alone the story density of a film or heaven forfend a novel even then you need three issues.

I mean, yeah, back in the day they wrote eight-pagers that were still good comics, but they're not good in a really meaningful way, I'd guess. Like the Lois Lane books I adore, they're good, but in an entirely different way (arguably a "bad" way) that only appeals to niche-within-the-niche nerds like me.

The only standalones I can think of that would be taken as fully realized are probably Swamp Thing books. And Alan Moore can do anything, except not write about rape.
I agree its about pacing. You can tell a good story in 8 pages, 20 or 1000 if you know how. I think most L&Os can be told in a single issue. Mostly they're taking heads. Movies, novels. Yeah more than a single issue. But comics aren't really any of those.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote