View Single Post
Old September 9 2011, 06:04 PM   #303
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
TV has both arc based and stand alone shows. Though the stand alones are getting less common. The Law and Orders were the most sucessfull of recent stand alones. I guess CSI are stand alones. Haven't watched enough to be sure. Many shows are a mix ( especially sit coms) with sub plots connecting what are mostly stand alones main plots.
See, the big difference between Law and Order and a comic book is that Law and Order is about three to six times longer, depending on how the comic is paced. So to get the just the equivalent of a Law and Order episode, let alone the story density of a film or heaven forfend a novel even then you need three issues.

I mean, yeah, back in the day they wrote eight-pagers that were still good comics, but they're not good in a really meaningful way, I'd guess. Like the Lois Lane books I adore, they're good, but in an entirely different way (arguably a "bad" way) that only appeals to niche-within-the-niche nerds like me.

The only standalones I can think of that would be taken as fully realized are probably Swamp Thing books, specifically "The Anatomy Lesson" and "Rite of Spring,"* but probably some others I've forgotten. The lesson there, really, is only that Alan Moore can do anything, except not write about rape, and avoid contorting conversations into weird things no one would ever say in order to support his visual segues.

*ETA: "The Anatomy Lesson" is fine. It's really great, actually, but I don't know why people talk it up as if it was the greatest comic ever made up till that point (clearly people who say this had not been reading Jim Starlin). But "Rite of Spring"? You'd never expect a story that is entirely, exclusively, about a man-plant fucking a platinum blonde with a psychic potato to be just about the most beautiful thing ever drawn, but there it is. Read it, if you never have.

Last edited by Myasishchev; September 9 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote