View Single Post
Old September 9 2011, 03:59 AM   #701
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

120. Patton (A)
121. Pan's Labyrinth (A+)
122. The Debt (B+)
123. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (A-)
124. The Pawnbroker (A-)
125. Double Indemnity (A)
126. Mildred Pierce (B+)
127. The Postman Always Rings Twice (C-)
128. The Great Dictator (A+)

Chaplin speaks!

And, to hear some people talk, that's the problem. The speech is certainly not comedy, as Ebert (and many others) have observed. But by the time he gives, the film isn't a comedy anymore; certainly not after we see a guy get gunned down. It's Chaplin's prayer for peace as the world was entering the greatest cataclysm in its history, which would consume 60 million souls. I couldn't help but be moved by it, given the time and the place, and what was really ahead for Hannah and her people.

Sir Charles himself later said that he known, he would never have made the film, which speaks to the true uniqueness of it. This is a film that could only have been made at the specific moment in time it was; no one, not even its own director, would ever conceive of approaching the subject in this manner (even divorcing the ending from the rest) within just a few years. It's an immediate film, and you could argue one of the most audacious ever made.

Bravo.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote