View Single Post
Old September 8 2011, 06:36 PM   #54
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Kirk and the Prime Directive.

Maximara wrote: View Post

"A Taste of Armageddon" (23) ignored to the point the Federation Ambassador insisted on beaming down
Not a primitive culture. Prime Directive doesn't apply in the 23rd century.

"Errand of Mercy" (27) We are about to go to war with the Klingons so we will ignore the Prime Directive for now.
I don't think about it as ignoring it. It's more about the reality of the situation. This type of situation may fall under on of the 47 sub-sections Janeway mentions.

"Friday's Child" (32) Pre-warp culture offered aid because the Klingons also want it. Prime Directive is not even referred to even though it should apply.
Prime Directive in mentioned indirectly. We have no idea here how first contact was originally made or by whom. All we do know is that the Capellans seem perfectly at ease with the idea of life on other worlds. The contact with the Klingons or Federation didn't send their world down some catastrophic path.

"The Apple" (38) Spock again refers to Non-interference Directive and Kirk uses same argument as in "The Return of the Archons"
Probably another situation covered by one of those 47 sub-sections.

"The Omega Glory" (54) Kirk's quote conflicts with his behavior in "A Taste of Armageddon"
Not really. Two different civilizations at two different levels of development.

"For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" (65) Again the Prime Directive should come up but doesn't
What would you have them do? Blast the asteroid out of the sky to save Daran V? This is where people take the Prime Directive to the ludicrous extreme, based on the 24th century version.

"The Cloud Minders" (74) Prime Directive? We need that Zenite to stop a plague so forget that noise.
Why would the Prime Directive apply to a Federation member state?

The Cloud Minders wrote:

KIRK: I hope so. Ardana is a member of the Federation, and it is your council's responsibility that nothing interferes with its obligation to another member of the Federation.