View Single Post
Old September 8 2011, 02:30 PM   #245
Servo
Rear Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Ok, my gradings so far...

Justice League #1
I know a lot of people didn't particularly like this issue for one reason or another, but I thought it was ok. Jim Lee's art is beautiful as always, and I like the story setup. Sure, it was nothing revolutionary, but it was enjoyable enough. Grade: B

Action Comics #1
This was very good. Grant Morrison's Smallville complete with a nod to Remy Zero's "Somebody saaaaaaaaaaaaaave me!" after the opening gambit. Morales' art is great, the story is well paced, and I like the way they've started off limiting Superman's powers so he can grow and evolve over the course of the series. Grade: A

Detective Comics #1
Batman vs. The Joker. Nothing we haven't seen before, and nothing mindblowing, but still pretty solid none-the-less. Daniel's art is a lot better than his storytelling, but that's not to say his writing is bad, just not amazing. Bit of shock tactics for the final page, but I'm interested in seeing where they go with it. Grade: B+

Justice League International #1
I wasn't originally planning on getting this, but I saw it on the shelf and thought I'd give it a go. Not bad at all. The actual storyline didn't blow me away, but I kinda like the writing and the characters involved. Some funny lines in it, like Booster defending himself from being accused of selling adult diapers. I can see a nice dynamic building between Batman and Guy Gardener. I'll be sticking with it for the forseeable future. Grade: B