View Single Post
Old September 4 2011, 06:14 PM   #692
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2011

120. Patton (A)
121. Pan's Labyrinth (A+)
122. The Debt (B+)
123. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (A-)

Another Kubrick film, and one of the better ones. A lot of people say they found this funnier than I did, but I attribute a lot of that to the fact that so many of the most famous lines are so familiar before you even watch it. Kubrick's detached directorial style is a lot more suited to this sort of black comedy where it doesn't feel like you should empathise with anyone anyway. The visual effects, I have to say, are terrible.

124. The Pawnbroker (A-)

Another of Sidney Lumet's early films, and one of the early Holocaust movies (Holocaust aftermath, in this case); also sees Lumet pioneering the gritty inner-city setting that he would use in so many of his later films. And it torpedoed the Hays Code. This is basically a performance movie, all about watching Rod Steiger's amazing work as the title character. It's a terrific piece of work. The surroundings/plot are a bit less impressive, but it's still a very well-done, grim little piece of storytelling. Also, I imagine the budget on this was fairly tight, but the little glimpses we get of Auschwitz are rather unconvincing compared to later Holocaust movies. An atypically cast Brock Peters was fun as one of the villains.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is online now   Reply With Quote