View Single Post
Old August 31 2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

So.

My LCS had a midnight release party for Flashpoint 5 and Justice League 1. I actually wouldn't have made the special trip (Especially since Diamond distributing would only let them sell those two books. I'll be back tomorrow for the rest of my books for the week.) but as fate would have it, I was driving by anyway.

First a quick note about Flashpoint 5. Without having read any of the series, I thumbed through the finale. It was mostly gibberish, frankly as I hadn't much of a clue about the status quo in this altered timeline. However, I found the ending to quite unexpectedly and surprisingly touching. Enough so to make me consider picking up the trade.

Onward-- Justice League 1. I liked it a little better than the reviewer I linked to earlier did, but I can see where he's coming from. Despite assurances that there would no more "writing for the trade", this issue really feels incomplete as a single issue.

My favorite bit comes soon after Batman and Green Lantern meet...

Young Hal Jordan in fun. He is cocky as Hell and supremely confident in his rings ability to handle any threat. Therefore, after the previous exchange, it is extra fun to see...

GL's ring determines that the creature that they are both chasing is extra-terrestrial in origin, the follow it into the sewer where the nature of threat is revealed to the readers, if not immediately to the heroes.

The issue ends with the pair...

An interesting thing that I noticed regarding Cyborg.

All in all, it was an enjoyable read and I will definitely be sticking with this through the first arc.