View Single Post
Old August 24 2011, 03:25 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land Records Releasing a 3-CD Set of TNG Scores at Comic-Con

Finally finished the set. Don Davis's "Face of the Enemy" score started out a bit bland and Chattawayesque, but most of it was very impressive and rich, more strongly melodic than most TNG scores. It used a couple of recurring motifs that evoked Horner's Wrath of Khan score, but Davis is a better composer than Horner so it worked out okay. It's too bad this was Davis's only Trek score, though I can see why Berman wouldn't have wanted him back.

John Debney's "The Pegasus" score was rather generic. Basically it underlined how good Debney was at mimicking Dennis McCarthy (something his SeaQuest scores also demonstrated). There were only a few brief moments where I heard hints of Debney's own voice as a composer. His work on DS9 was stronger, I think. Perhaps the one really noteworthy thing about the "Pegasus" score is that it's probably the last TNG episode (by a wide margin) to make substantial use of the Alexander Courage fanfare.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote