View Single Post
Old August 24 2011, 06:04 AM   #608
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Not true. Hal is only iconic to comic fans. He wasn't even that memorable on SuperFriends in the early 80's. As noted here on this board a number of times if your childhood was the 90's then John Stewart was the only/most recognizable Green Lantern. Thanks to Cartoon Network. If you then read comics due to that you saw Kyle Rayner. Those two were the most recognizable Green Lanterns.
Maybe, but I doubt most people really paid much attention to Justice League or JLU back then (or read the comics). And in any case, I just think if you're GOING to make a GL movie, you gotta at least start with Hal Jordan.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Which I think was a good idea. Just handled VERY poorly. Hal had some sort of obscure fear of ... something. Failure? Not living up to Daddy's image? I don't know. I just couldn't get on board with Hal's journey, personally. (I still laugh quietly when I think of Daddy's death scene. So badly done.)
I got the sense it was just a general trauma over having seen his dad die, like the PTSD that veterans get where they zone out and relive some horrible moment from a battle.

I thought that idea came across well enough; I just didn't buy a jock like Hal being as outwardly scared and fearful as he was through the course of the movie. It would have been a lot more interesting and believable if that were more underplayed, I think. And he kept trying to put up a brave front until finally admitting in the end that he's afraid.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote