View Single Post
Old August 22 2011, 08:57 PM   #580
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Re: Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

davejames wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Makes all the sense in the world, for Sinestro.
Yeah to be honest I didn't find the Sinestro scene at the end to be nearly as jarring as others did. It WAS his idea to craft a yellow ring of power after all, and we DID see him butting heads with the Guardians earlier.

Besides, I didn't get the feeling this was him going "Aha! I'm going to be Evil now!!" The way I read the scene, and from his reaction, it was more him simply being curious about what this ring could do.... and then surprised as it takes him over the way it does.

Not to mention the fact this could have been 5 or 6 months in the future for all we know.
Using the power of the "enemy", I see Sinestro's motivations similarly to Boromir in LOTR. He honestly believes the weapon of the enemy can be harnessed for their efforts, and has an "ends justify the means" mentality. Both have good, sincere intentions, and character weaknesses prevent them from seeing the problems in their plans until it's too late.