View Single Post
Old August 22 2011, 05:47 AM   #150
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Star Trek: Shaping a Cardassian - Among the Dragons

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Jarol as a bridesmaid...I definitely wouldn't have seen that one coming, especially given her disapproval of the wedding and her belief that a human woman isn't enough for a Cardassian. Is this an attempt to win her approval?
I don't think Kapoor was ever aware of Jarol's thoughts. Jarol never expressed them and certainly not in her presence. And by that time Jarol saw that humans can be crazy in love too.
Tavor's reaction makes me wonder...is he aware of such disapproval? Or is he instead afraid his father will hunt them down if they do make the news?
I think he doesn't want his wedding to be a public show. A legate, plus one of sons of a 'prominent' Cardassian guls, plus a human: that's too much for him.
Creepy detail about the soundproof houses. Do you think they'll keep building them that way, though, in more peaceful times? Apparently there are some peacetime applications that would've made life in MY apartment a lot easier in college!!!
I think they still build houses that way, because the feature is really useful and offers everyone a lot of privacy and not being bothered by anyone, or to bother anyone.
It seems to me your Cardassians would like the custom of the wedding registry, if they were to give gifts the same way humans do. I've heard that it's mainly an American thing, but the efficiency of it would probably appeal to them. That way, you know for sure that what you're buying will not go to waste or be a duplicate.
I think they have some system of gifts--lists presented with invitations, or something like that; I haven't decided yet.
Now...what's a jackfruit? Never heard of one before.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-iVrKmkWyzc.../JackFruit.jpg
http://outofthegarden.files.wordpres...pg?w=346&h=464

My first impression of it was "a funny smelling banana," but I grew to like them. In Asia they are sold fresh, but you can also get them as a dried snack. Maybe you could get dried jackfruit in US in some stores.
The vendors are being surprisingly nice. I wonder if it's because of her armor that they figure they need to be nice. Or is it because they don't care where their money comes from as long as that someone pays in legal tender?
Both. She has money and she wears armour. Lack of ridges was secondary.

I'm sure Kapoor also ignored unpleasant looks thrown her way. Why to spoil such a nice day with assholes?
Oh, and what kind of thank you is fodaiji, as compared to elekiji? (And then the third is the rare one, right, the "I thank you for your sacrifice" form of thanks?)
Foda is a 'thank you' for service, something that doesn't stay, eg. opening a door for you, handing you a box of tissues to take one, letting you first through the door, etc.

The third one is just for one kind of situation--a big sacrifice. I don't think I made a word for it yet.
And a glowing vegetable? Do they have to remove the glowing part so it's not toxic?

(MY Cardassians might start looking at that one as a body-paint source...totally horrifying your group. )
There are flowers which start glowing after sunset, because the colour somehow reflects the light, so I thought: why not another plant?