View Single Post
Old August 19 2011, 10:36 AM   #14
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell
Re: Non Trek Fic: Quinn's Code (A Daria AU)

Cafe Geekdale - Part 3

Sandi arrived at her Language Arts class early, only to find that Quinn was already talking to Mr. O'Neill. 'Or course, her Language Arts class is first,” she thought. She hung back in the doorway and listened in on their conversation...

“So, you want the Freshmen to be able to perform at the opening night of the Coffee House?” Mr. O'Neill said.

“Yes. You are always going on about students maximising their potential or whatever,” Quinn pointed out.

“That is a good point,” Mr. O'Neill conceded.

“So are the freshmen going to be able to perform at the opening night or not?” Quinn asked.

“Yes, as well as the Juniors and Seniors, also any middle schoolers that are also interested.”

“Very good.”

“Thanks, Quinn,” Mr O'Neill said as she left.

Quinn noticed Sandi standing near the door as she left the room, but didn't give her any attention. 'Doesn't matter whether she was evesdropping or not,' she thought.

After Quinn had gone, Sandi entered the room. “Mr. O'Neill, we need to talk,” she said, a little more forcefully than she had intended.

“What about, Sandi?”

“I heard about this Coffee House you are, like, setting up and apparently it's only for sophomores!” she said.

“Yeah, I have just talked to that new girl, Quinn Morgendorffer, about that. I have decided to throw it open for everyone!” Mr. O'Neill said.

“Excellent,” Sandi said, momentarily ignoring the teacher's mention of Quinn for the moment.

“Yes, it will be excellent for the students who participate,” Mr. O'Neill said.

'Of course,' Sandi thought.

Daria and Jennifer entered the Language Arts classroom a few minutes early.

“Daria, I have talked to Ms. Li and she said that your idea is a great idea!” Mr. O'Neill said when she arrived at the Language Arts Class.

“So it is going ahead?” Jennifer asked, with slight surprise.

Yes. Opening night will be this Friday. If money can be raised via fund-raising by that time, that is,” Mr. O'Neill said.

“Great!” Daria said. She then thought for a second about the conversation with her mother that morning. “Actually, I would like to volunteer to work on the coffee house.”

“You do?” Jennifer asked with a raised eyebrow.

“My mom is forcing me to do an extracurricular activity.”

Jennifer shook her head “That's not right!” she murmured. 'But hardly unexpected, given what they have both said about her,' she thought.

“Anyway, that's great! I guess you want to read one of your essays.”

“No, I wasn't actually thinking about performing,” Daria said. 'Why did he have to assume that,' she thought.

“Maybe that one about feeling like a big misfit whom everybody hates. The other kids will really relate to that. I know I do.”

“I don't know if that's such a great idea. That's the one that compares the sophomore class to barnyard animals. It names names,” Daria said.

“Except Jane and myself, of course,” Jennifer murmered.

“Oh, yeah,” Mr. O'Neill realised.

“I'm really not much of a performer. I'm thinking more along the lines of that fundraising you mentioned?” Daria asked.

“Oh. Well, we're selling magazines, CDs, and wrapping paper. Jump in!” Mr. O'Neill said with enthusiasm.

“Can I join?” Jennifer asked. 'Seeing Daria doing an extracurricular activity is worth it. Besides I will be letting her knock on the doors!' she thought.

“Good for you, Jen!” Mr. O'Neill said.

“Can Jane join to?” Daria asked.

“If she wants to,” Mr. O'Neill said.

“She's a big joiner,” Daria said.

The sarcasm went over Mr. O'Neill's head. “Not in my experience.”

'He doesn't get sarcasm, does he?' Jennifer thought.

When all the class was seated Mr. O'Neill made the annoucement to the class. “This Friday night is the inaugeral Performance Night at the new Café Lawndale Coffee House. I would like to discuss with you possible ideas for performances.”

Jodie Landon put her hand up.

“Yes, Jodie.”

“Ms. Li has agreed?” Jodie asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes, Jodie. She says that it will increase the school's visibility in the Lawndale community,” he said.

“Right,” Jodie said. She knew what Ms. Li meant when she said that though.

“Anyone else?”

“We can practice cheerleading routines there?” Brittany Taylor asked.

“Sure, Brittany, but wouldn't you like to do anything else?” Mr. O'Neill asked.

Brittany twirled one of her pig-tails as she thought.We have been working on Shakespeare.' “Some lines from Hamlet would be good for me and Kevie to perform,” she finally said.

“That would be good, Brittany.”

“But, Babe!” Kevin objected.

“I am sure that you could learn them in time, Kevie!” Brittany said.

“But the words are confusing!”

“That is what Language Arts Class is for, Kevie!” Brittany said. 'I may not get more than a D+, but I do understand the language in those plays!'

“Um, Okay,” Kevin said.

“Twenty if Kevin doesn't remember the lines,” Daria said to Jennifer.

“It's a given. That is too much,” Jennifer said.

“Five, if he doesn't remember the lines,” Daria said.

“Loosing to me hurts, doesn't it?” Jennifer asked.

Daria grumbled.

“Anyone else?” Mr. O'Neill asked.

Andrea Hecuba raised her hand. “I will read some poetry,” she said.

“Excellent!”

That afternoon, Jennifer and Daria went to Casa Lane prior to fund-raising for the Coffee house via the selling of chocolate.

“No way. Are you two out of your mind?” Jane asked as she painted.

“My mom is forcing me to do an extra-curricular activity,” Daria said.

“You have to admit that the Coffee House is a good idea,” Jennifer said.

“True,” Jane admitted.

“So, you are coming?” Jennifer asked.

“No,” Jane said.

“Come on. Do it for Friendship,” Jennifer said.
“Maybe,” Jane said.

“Then do it for the opportunity to look inside people's houses and find out what screwed-up tastes they have,” Daria suggested.

Jane perked up. “I'm bringing a Polaroid!”

“Hi! We're selling long distance phone cards,” Quinn said to the young man whom had opened the door.

“I just use a credit card,” the young man said.

“Are you really happy with the service?” Cindy asked.

“It's fine,” the young man said.

“Does your internet go really slow, for instance?” Cindy asked. 'That is one way a person can be dissatisfied,' she thought.

“It doesn't. I just got broadband,” the young man said.

“Are you happy with that?” Kristen asked.

“It's fine,” the young man said.

“I mean, are you really happy with the voice quality on your long distance calls?” Quinn asked, homing in on the reason why they were there.

“I don't get you. W-why shouldn't I be?” the young man asked.

“I mean, are you ever really looking forward to talking to someone, and then can't hear them because of crackling and static?” Quinn asked.

“Not really,” the young man said.

“She means, that one of your friends received a call from you, they'd want to listen to you, not some static!” Cindy said.

“You have a really nice voice. Your friend should be able to hear it,” Kristen said. 'And that is the truth,' she thought.

The young man back up a bit. “They usually, uh...”

The three friends looked at each other. “Just pretend you're calling one of us,” Cindy said. 'That is one way to get our point across,' she thought.

“What?” the young man asked.

“Really, just try it. My name's Kristen, and the others are Cindy and Quinn.”

“What's your name?” Quinn asked.

“Danny.”

“So call me, Danny,” Cindy said.

“Ok,” Danny said, he made a gesture in imitation of a telephone. “Hello? Uh, Cindy?”

“Is that you? Danny?” Cindy asked.

“Hi! Cindy?”

“Speak up, Danny. I'm afraid I can't hear you!” Cindy said.

“Hi! Cindy? It's me, Danny.”

“I've been thinking about you all day. The way your eyes glisten when you laugh. I can't get it out of my mind,” Cindy said.

“Really?” Danny asked.

“You have to speak up, Danny! Listen, do you want to come over tonight? I have the house all to myself for the weekend.”

“Yeah! I mean, um, s-sure, Cindy.”

“Oh, that's OK, Danny, I understand. I'll see if Jamal wants to come over.” Cindy said.

“But I said...”

“Bye!” Cindy said.

“Wait!” Danny said.

“Click!” Cindy said.

“See what can happen with bad long distance service, Danny?” Quinn asked.

“Who's Jamal?” Danny asked.

“Oh, someone at school. I'm not sure that is even his name...” Cindy said.

“So you would like a phone card?” Kristen asked.

“I guess so,” Danny said.

Jennifer rang the doorbell, but was then surprised when a very obese woman answered the door, wheezing as she moved. “Um, hi. I'm selling chocolate bars for the new student coffee house.” She said.

“Speak up! I can't hear you,” the woman said.

“We're selling chocolate bars for the new student coffee house,” Daria said.

“New coffee house?”

“Our cybercafé got trashed.” Jane said.

“Well, I enjoy chocolate. Doctor says I'm not supposed to have too much of it, but he wouldn't mind if it's for a good cause.”

'Somehow I think that he would mind, even if its for a good cause,' Jennifer thought.

The woman went inside for some money which gave opportunity for Jane to take a photograph of her living room.

“Just... just a second, girls,” the woman said as she returned.

“Are you alright?” Jennifer asked.

“Yeah, yeah. Just, just, I was in the basement when the doorbell rang. Need to catch my breath a little. How many chocolate bars you got there?”

“We've got about two boxes. That's twenty-four,” Daria said.

“Tell you what: I'll take all of them.”

“All of them? Really?” Jane asked.

“That's not really fair for others, is it?” Jennifer asked.

“You sure that's okay with your doctor?” Daria asked.

“It's okay as long as he don't know about it! Dammit! Where's that purse?” the woman then coughed, fainted and fell to the ground.
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote