View Single Post
Old August 17 2011, 07:28 PM   #110
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: From Risa With Love--An Adventure Of Dr. Julian Bashir

The Badger wrote: View Post
So Bashir wakens to find himself tied to the bed by a beautiful leather clad blonde? Some guys get all the luck.
Absolutely!

As Bashir himself noted in the beginning of the sequence, her body language throughout--especially the moment where she moves completely atop him--is one of seduction. One could call it symbolic of the constant seduction of the "spy life", a seduction Bashir encounters over and over again....

An excellent story through out, with a satisfying conclusion.

...And congratulations for Cynthia Holland too. Given her background and role in the story, there's a very high Mary Sue quotient there, but you made the character work. Like Crant, she's someone I'd like to see again.
Thank you, very much.

Interestingly enough, when starting the as-yet-unfinished Section 31 tale, I was afraid she was coming across as just that--a Mary Sue. In that case...I think there are rare instances where such stereotypes are actually most effective.

"True Q", for example, begins with Amanda Rogers as a flesh-and-blood Mary Sue (down to Riker briefly flirting with her)...but the mystery of her powers makes it different--and the revelation that she's a Q, and Q's mentoring of her, suddenly breaths new live into the "Mary Sue" tradition.

In my case, the "Mary Sue" stereotype--an innocent, beautiful, eager-to-please girl who 1) is the best at what she does, and 2) catches the eye of one of the show's male leads--actually provides a drastic contrast to the dark, twisted netherworld of Section 31.

Out of curiosity I'd like to read your alternate version of Crant and Crollin's fate, but from what you say this does indeed sound like a superior resolution.
Ask, and ye shall recieve. Here we go:

Some things to notice:

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."

Last edited by Rush Limborg; August 18 2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: so a new reader won't notice any "spoilers" when writing reviews.
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote