View Single Post
Old August 17 2011, 06:46 PM   #73
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land Records Releasing a 3-CD Set of TNG Scores at Comic-Con

Art Vandelay wrote: View Post
I just wish McCarthy had phrased it a little less uber-diplomatic. What's wrong with saying: "It was a damn shame I had to work under these restrictions, but this is the way you have to roll to work in the business."
Maybe he just doesn't feel that way about it. After all, he stayed with Berman and the Trek franchise for eighteen years. Does that strike you as something he would've done if he'd been unhappy working under Berman's guidelines? He was a talented and experienced composer and he worked on the most successful first-run syndicated drama in television history. If he'd wanted to leave for something more creatively challenging, he would've had plenty of opportunities to do so. But he chose to stay for the long haul. Which pretty strongly suggests that he had no problems working with Rick Berman and composing music in accordance with Berman's tastes.

But in the liner notes, he sounds almost grateful for Berman's intervention.
I don't know where you're getting that. All it says is that he chose to see it as a creative challenge.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote